Oil pulling is quite simple.
1. Choose an oil (olive oil, sesame oil, coconut oil, grape seed oil--preferably organic and definitely not canola oil). Different oils have different benefits.
2. Take a tablespoon of it into your mouth.
3. Set a timer for 20 minutes.
4. Swish and pull it throughout your mouth, between your teeth, from cheek to cheek while you unstack the morning dishes, make breakfast, take a shower, get dressed etc.
5. Spit it out in the trash (not the sink as it will have loads of unwanted bacteria in it.).
6. Swish and rinse with water into the trash if you like.
7. Brush those bucks.
8. Feel better and better. Rid yourself of toxins, whiten your teeth, feel clearer. To name a few benefits.
You asked is it gross?
The first time I did it I lasted two minutes before almost gagging. Today I lasted the whole twenty minutes it took me to make popovers for breakfast.
Is it hard not to talk?
My kids have gotten used to me doing it and they join me some days...but usually for five or ten minutes.
Has it helped?
I think it has helped my health. I feel brighter and calmer and have noticed things shifting...but I think things are shifting for many reasons, eating more whole foods, sleep, exercise, meditation, writing, yoga, energy work, apple cider vinegar drinks, smoothies, being more present, clear, grateful the list could go on. It definitely helps with bad breath and sore throats and sinus stuff...but it also helps with a whole host of other conditions.
Why did I begin?
I had a hunch that some of our illness start and frankly stay with us because they are camping out in our gums. I haven't confirmed this. Just a small voice inside said take note. Not very scientific I know. And while I try to be a good flosser I am not and oil pulling seems easier to me and more enjoyable. Plus a friend of mine who is a enthusiast for health also encouraged me.
Want to read more about it?
Want to fall into a rabbit hole of info on it?
Go to http://www.earthclinic.com/