9.11.2011

Thresholds

We made it to first grade this past week. And, let me tell you the anticipation was immense for me. I felt such a mix of emotions as I watched him go from our long summer days of togetherness to the fall days where he is at school for most of the daylight hours. Well, maybe I am exaggerating a bit but for a huge chunk of them. Last year he went to half-day kindergarten and that felt like enough, now he is in full days, and while he was scared of them, he comes back saying that it was “awesome.” And then the first few mornings woke up and asked to only go half-day. 

However, this shift to full days is larger than first grade, from now on he will spend more and more time at school and less and less time with us. And, well, I love this kid, I love to hang with him, and talk with him, and do art with him and play with him. And now I have to share him more and more with others. I will miss him, and as my neighbor’s husband said when her babe went off to full day school, “He’s still mine, and there is still a lot of parenting left to do!”

Amen to that! 
*First day of school picture to follow…still trapped on my camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment